The early history of Lafayette is a history of coal mining. The earliest miners were the Simpson and the Cannon Families.
John H. Simpson was born on the 13th of May 1843 in Parton, Cumberland Co., England. He married Isabella Twentyman of Allenby, England in 1865.
Continue reading “Reprints: The Simpsons and the Cannons”
Boulder Jury Scores Drach
Bank Commissioner is Blamed for Permitting Two Insolvent Banks to Continue
Public attention which was centered last night upon the fact that T. A. McHarg and O. A. Johnson has been indicted in the Oles case as well as Mrs. May Oles, became focused today on the report of the grand jury which scores State Bank Commissioner E. E. Drach for “insufficiency and neglect of duty” for failing to close the Louisville bank sooner than he did.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1915 – Grand jury returns indictment against town founder Mary Miller”
The citizens of Irvington [a town east of Lafayette along Coal Creek] are to be congratulated. Their petitions against the establishment of a saloon in their territory last spring went unheeded by the [Boulder] county commissioners, and their desire for a clean moral atmosphere about their residences near the coal mines were set at naught. They were derided as puritanical for their efforts to shield their children from contamination so far as lay in their power.
The saloon was established. All the evils they had predicted came true, as a matter of course. The wages that should have gone into many homes were wasted in drink. Carousals that made nights hideous and out of door life insecure followed each pay-time. Complaints were apparently ignored, and matters went from bad to worse. Not content with the patronage from the regular drinking element of the floating population about the mines, the saloonists, as is the usual custom in that business, cast about for bait to entrap the unwary youth of both sexes. Women from Denver, of the class whose “footsteps take hold in hell,” were imported to entice and fleece the patrons. Being unmolested, the orgies became open and unprintable.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1908 — We Congratulate Irvington”
The Charter of the Lodge was issued on April 25th, 1890, to the following: William Yates, William D. Jenkins, Sep Wood, Charles Neal, John T. Jenkins, Robert Young, William Beamand, George M. Bauers and William Ellsworth.
The first meeting place was the on the second floor of the old brick schoolhouse.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1951 — Historical Review of Lafayette Odd Fellows Lodge No. 91”
What has been declared by old-timers as the worst hail storm which has ever visited the district struck Lafayette last Monday night at 6:30 o’clock and for about 20 minutes it literally poured sheets of ice.
Many hailstones as large as baseballs were picked up and at times the hail was so thick that one could scarcely see across the street.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1925 – Lafayette hit by big hail storm; much damage results to buildings”