Incorrect historical information gets imbedded into a town’s history in odd and sometimes expensive ways.
Reprints: 1915 – Grand jury returns indictment against town founder Mary Miller
Boulder Jury Scores Drach
Bank Commissioner is Blamed for Permitting Two Insolvent Banks to Continue
Public attention which was centered last night upon the fact that T. A. McHarg and O. A. Johnson has been indicted in the Oles case as well as Mrs. May Oles, became focused today on the report of the grand jury which scores State Bank Commissioner E. E. Drach for “insufficiency and neglect of duty” for failing to close the Louisville bank sooner than he did.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1915 – Grand jury returns indictment against town founder Mary Miller”
Reprints: 1908 — We Congratulate Irvington
The citizens of Irvington [a town east of Lafayette along Coal Creek] are to be congratulated. Their petitions against the establishment of a saloon in their territory last spring went unheeded by the [Boulder] county commissioners, and their desire for a clean moral atmosphere about their residences near the coal mines were set at naught. They were derided as puritanical for their efforts to shield their children from contamination so far as lay in their power.
The saloon was established. All the evils they had predicted came true, as a matter of course. The wages that should have gone into many homes were wasted in drink. Carousals that made nights hideous and out of door life insecure followed each pay-time. Complaints were apparently ignored, and matters went from bad to worse. Not content with the patronage from the regular drinking element of the floating population about the mines, the saloonists, as is the usual custom in that business, cast about for bait to entrap the unwary youth of both sexes. Women from Denver, of the class whose “footsteps take hold in hell,” were imported to entice and fleece the patrons. Being unmolested, the orgies became open and unprintable.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1908 — We Congratulate Irvington”
Reprints: 1951 — Historical Review of Lafayette Odd Fellows Lodge No. 91
The Charter of the Lodge was issued on April 25th, 1890, to the following: William Yates, William D. Jenkins, Sep Wood, Charles Neal, John T. Jenkins, Robert Young, William Beamand, George M. Bauers and William Ellsworth.
The first meeting place was the on the second floor of the old brick schoolhouse.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1951 — Historical Review of Lafayette Odd Fellows Lodge No. 91”
New Lafayette history book: Lost Lafayette, Colorado
Lost Lafayette, Colorado is available now and is an update to Doug Conarroe’s “80026” coffee table book and contains new chapters on Lafayette’s dark decade dominated by the Ku Klux Klan. There’s also new details about Lafayette’s irrigation and water history. The well-researched book is Lafayette’s complete history from the 1820s through the 1930s. Find it at Arcadia Press.
Local vendors for Arcadia Books include Walgreen’s and Jax Farm and Ranch.