On April 13, 1957, the Boy Scouts of Lafayette presented a pantomime “Lafayette in Retrospect” at the Boy Scout Circus at the Colorado University Fieldhouse in Boulder.
Because of the significant historical importance to those who are familiar with the background of Lafayette, and to those of us who are interested to know about it, space is being given to record in full, the text of “Lafayette in Retrospect” as it was produced in Pantomime by the Boy Scouts in keeping with the Scout-orama “History of Colorado” theme for this year.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1957 – Lafayette in Retrospect”
Two early dairies in Lafayette that delivered milk door-to-door were the Kneebone Dairy and the Home Dairy. Kneebones delivered raw milk while Home Dairy delivered pasteurized milk.
The Kneebone Farm was at the corner of 111th Ave. and Arapahoe Road, but the Kneebone Family maintained their dairy herd of 40 to 60 head in the fields along the north side of E. Elm Street in Lafayette. Home Dairy bought milk from area dairy farmers.
Continue reading “The Kneebone Dairy and the Home Dairy”
Dr. Maynard Peck, in his thesis, “Some Economic Aspects of the Coal Industry in Boulder County,” writes:
Boulder County embraces within its boundary lines an area of 786 square miles in the form of a parallelogram about 32 by 24 miles extent. The western two-thirds consists chiefly of mountains, which run chain-like ridges westerly direction towards the Continental Divide, and tower up to an altitude of 13,000 feet and more. In these mountains are found a number of metals which have added much to the wealth and fame of Boulder County.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1947 – Coal was mined in Boulder County as early as 1860”
Mary E. Miller, the founder of Lafayette, was born in Geneseo, N.Y., August 9, 1842. In 1853, with her parents, she removed to Michigan and settled near Hastings. Later she moved to Iowa and on December 24, 1862, she married Lafayette Miller who died in Boulder, Colorado in 1878.
Continue reading “Reprints: 1912 – Mary E. Miller – The “Mother of Lafayette””